Thursday, October 23, 2008

It is a good thing that you know this

I write this on my blog so I can remind myself of it. Perhaps in my moments of despair. When I curse myself for being deaf to the wisdom of my elders, for wanting to test conventional wisdom, for being drawn to follow my instincts - to know my own truth - at the risk of hurting myself and worse - at the risk of hurting others.

" It is a good thing to experience everything oneself, He thought. As a child I learned that pleasures of the world and riches were not good. I have known it for a long time but I have only just experienced it.
Now I know it not only with my intellect, but with my eyes, my heart, with my stomach. It is a good thing that I know this."
-quoted from Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

To all those who've hurt themselves, made decisions despite the foreboding or warnings that it could go wrong..
Now you know it not only with your intellect, but with your eyes, your heart, with your stomach... It is a good thing that you know this...

7 comments:

Karthik said...

Its painful when one cannot accept it, even when one knows it not only with one's intellect, but with one's eyes ,one's heart,with one's stomach....So the question is whether you know the truth? The good thing its upto to you to define the truth.

Prashant Singh said...

Hmmm this remind me of scene from "The Matrix" where Morpheus says to Neo that
"Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Once you have walked the path and internalized the learning. You don't need anything to remind yourself of this wisdom . Question is whether this knowledge makes things easy ?? No.
Is it worth ? Yes.

Carpe diem

the who said...

They told me not to trust a stranger. My reasoning told me the same. Yet i went ahead and trusted one. I was betrayed. I now know what it is to trust a stranger. Should I have believed them when they told me the same thing and not have gone ahead? Perhaps. Would have saved me the pain. Would I have known what it feels like to trust one? To be betrayed? I would not. Now that i know, does it hurt less?? Certainly not. But i know have lived life first-hand.
I always had the knowledge, only now I am wiser..

the who said...

P.S: this was only an example.. it may or may not have happened to me

Karthik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karthik said...

You are wiser..True..However try not to get hurt when things don't go as expected. :)...Come on this post is getting way too serious...Lets have a toast! One for being a imperfect human.

Karthik said...

http://daytodaydays.blogspot.com/